AlphaBrain is a highly prized nootropic stack developed by Onnit. It is one of the first nootropic stacks ever developed, and has been made popular by Joe Rogan and word of mouth. It is regarded to the one of the most effective memory-enhancing nootropic blends available today, and the ingredients contained speak for themselves.
This nootropic product is designed to work on first use, and can be used on an as-needed basis. As such, it does not require prolonged supplementation to see maximum benefits. This unique product is in fact one of the only nootropic stacks that has been tested in double-blind, placebo controlled studies.1https://www.onnit.com/files/Onnit_AlphaBrain_Clinical.pdf2https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/268762243https://www.alzheimersanddementia.com/article/S1552-5260(15)00727-X/fulltext In all studies it was found to enhance memory, brainwave patterns, and focus in contrast with placebo.
- Bacopa – a nootropic herb with potent memory-enhancing properties. It has demonstrated potent pro-cognitive effects in both young, healthy people, and the i elderly. It’s primary mechanism of action appears to come from preventing neuroinflammation and increasing dopamine and serotonin in the hippocampus, the primary region of the brain responsible for memory consolidation.
- Cats Claw (Uncaria Tomentosa) – an Amazonian vine that has been touted for its anti-inflammatory and anti-fatigue benefits. It is revered in traditional medicine for its alleged health benefits, and a recent extract has been referred to as the “The Rainforest Super Herb.”
- Huperzine-A (Huperzia Serrata) – is a naturally-occuring plant alkaloid with potent nootropic qualities. It works by raising three key neurochemicals involved in cognitive activity – acetylcholine, nerve-growth factor, and brain-derived neurotrophic factor.
- Oat Straw – a unique herbal compound that improve cerebral blood flow and nitric oxide. Preliminary evidence suggests it may be able to improve cognition in healthy individuals.
- Alpha-GPC – a naturally occuring compound that can significantly enhance acetylcholine in the brain, the primary neurotransmitter involved in memory, learning, and attention.
- Tyrosine – an amino acid used by the body to synthesize dopamine.
- L-theanine, a compound found in green tea that can enhance attention.
- Vinpocetine, a synthetic nootropic with antioxidant activity.
Our Unbiased Review of Alpha Brain
AlphaBrain appears to have some serious potential in improving various aspects of memory. The ingredients contained within appear to have legitimate, high-quality research to back up their claims. However, there are three major ingredients (Huperzine-A, Alpha-GPC, and Bacopa) that stand out which we believe are powerful and capable in their own right.
Huperzine-A appears to be a very powerful nootropic for improving brain activity and memory. In fact, it is currently under investigation as a possible treatment for Alzheimer’s disease. It does not cure the root cause of Alzheimer’s disease or other neurodegenerative conditions, however it does provide some incredible pro-cognitive benefits that are quite apparent very quickly. It promotes the release of several key neurotrophins including NGF, BDNF, and TGF-β14https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091305706000840. Neurotrophins are molecules produced in the brain that enhance the growth of new neurons, particularly in the hippocampus, the region of the brain responsible for memory. Huperzine-A can also greatly increase levels of acetylcholine, which is an essential neurotransmitter used for memory and learning.
Another ingredient in this stack stands out as a powerhouse: Alpha-GPC. When it comes to raising acetylcholine in the brain, Alpha-GPC is hands-down the most powerful supplement available today. Human studies have found that supplementatio of Alpha-GPC demosntrated “significant enhancements in a wide variety of memory and executive control functions, including working memory (e.g., n-back task), verbal memory and learning (e.g., recall a list of words), and maze pathway learning.”5https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4536529/
Finally, Bacopa has shown immense potential for improving cognition in both young, healthy people and the elderly.6www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746283/ Bacopa has demonstrated incredible potential for improving memory in particular7https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18683852, and the mechanism by which it does this is increasing levels of serotonin and dopamine in the hippocampus, which can also lead to enhanced mood and focus.
The other ingredients contained in this product pair quite well with these three kings and can further enhance and synergize their properties. Tyrosine can ensure optimal levels of dopamine are synthesized in the brain, theanine can improve focus and attention, and the others may still provide additional pro-cognitive benefits to the upper limits of possibility.
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.